Yes, we absolutely adore cake and we have gone slightly cake crazy recently (we blame our lovely Laura for that…she makes amazingly tasty treats!). Obviously cakes are great to eat and indulge in, but not only do they taste good…wedding cakes can have that wow factor and they look simply fabulous too!
Over the years, we have been lucky enough to shoot (and in some cases try…lucky us!) some stunning cakes. We have seen various styles, designs and flavours and it would be quite impossible to pick just one favourite.
We show you a few that we love and discuss a few things about the wedding cake!
- Style – There are so many styles that are now available. From naked wedding cakes to wonderfully iced creations, there really are some beauties on the market. We love a good naked cake for that rustic wedding, but if you’re having a more stately affair, you can’t beat a beautifully iced cake.
- Flavours – Where do we start! Traditionally the fruit cake won over, but now you can have sponges in pretty much any flavour (give or take) and you can mix up the layers to your hearts content. If you’re indecisive or you just want a few yummy flavours, then you aren’t restricted! What flavours are you going to be picking?
- Dietary Requirements – Hello gluten free / dairy free / egg free options! Yes, most cake makers can now cater for all of those dietary requirements that you may have. Soo…you can still enjoy that slice.
- Decoration – Have a play around with flowers and little cake props. Keep in mind though that fresh flowers need to go on last minute as they can melt the sugar paste. Perhaps ask your florist and cake maker to communicate and work out who is going to do what.
- Positioning and when to cut it – Think about where you want the cake displayed and when you want to cut it. Do you want everyone to see this take place? Let the venue and cake maker and us photographers know in advance, so we can plan and prep. Note – Don’t leave the cake near any heat source or sun – it can melt…and we have seen the effects!
- Serving – The all important taster! Will you be serving yours as dessert or with tea/coffee. Maybe you would like it as an option as a late night snack? Obviously if there is some going spare…we won’t say no!
So, whilst we go and cut ourselves another slice and make up some coffee, have a think about what you might like and book in that cake tasting. We know two fabulous ladies who would love to hear from you and we thoroughly recommend. Anna Bakes and Cakes by Krishanthi
And if you would like someone to capture that all important cake cutting moment, then why not give us a call on 01494 680811, we would love to help.